When it comes to your business premises, no area is 100% safe. Even if your business premises are in a sophisticated, low-risk area, you can never feel completely assured about the protection of your building unless you have appropriate security systems installed. Regardless of whether you have valuable assets in your commercial property or not, it could be vulnerable to several security threats, especially break-ins, burglaries, and vandalism. So how can business owners ensure their office, industrial unit or shop remains protected at all times? The answer is installing intruder alarm systems. Before we tell you why intruder alarm systems are essential for your business premises, let’s have a look at the different types of intruder alarms and how they work.
Types of Intruder Alarm Systems
There are many different types of intruder alarms in the market. The kind of intruder alarm system you install on your commercial property will depend on its size, location, and other factors such as employees, assets, and your security budget. The two main mechanisms by which intruder alarms work are movement detection and physical detection.
Some of the standard movement detecting intruder alarms are:
- Passive Infra-Red (PIR) Detector
- Quad Element PIR
- Dual Technology PIR/Microwave
- Curtain PIRs
- External PIRs
Similarly, the most popular intruder alarms that rely on physical detection are:
- Break Glass Detectors
- Vibration Detectors
- Door Contacts
Furthermore, based on the requirements of your commercial property, you can install basic or complex intruder alarm systems, such as:
- Alarm/Bells only systems where the alarm gets triggered upon intruder detection.
- Intruder alarms with communicators that send messages and notify nominated people on their phones.
- Monitored or ARC (Alarm Receiving Centre) alarms that notify security operators in a remote monitoring centre, who then notify the authorities.
How Do Intruder Alarms Work?
Regardless of the type of burglar alarm you install on your commercial premises, it will follow the same process of detection and triggering the alarm. Here’s how an intruder alarm system works:
- When a burglar attempts to break into your commercial building, the motion or infra-red sensors placed across the property detect the movement or heat radiation and send a signal to the control panel to trigger the alarm.
- When the connection between the sensors and the control panel that receives the signals is broken the alarm countdown begins.
- Once the alarm is triggered, a bell or siren goes off and depending on the type of intruder alarm system, the nominated people, security operators and authorities are notified. The bell or siren may itself deter the burglar and cause them to flee without completing the crime.
- The security operators or the nominated people responsible for the security of the building then use their unique code, fob key or their smartphone app to deactivate and activate the alarm after everything is over.
Why Are Intruder Alarms Essential for Business Premises?
Your commercial property can never be completely safe and protected in the absence of a robust security system. And intruder alarms are one of the most effective security systems you can install on your commercial property. Here’s how they can benefit you:
- 24×7 Protection – Intruder alarms can help you monitor your office 24×7, during and after working hours.
- Ensure Staff & Customer Safety – Your employees deserve a safe and secure working environment. This is only possible if you have all the necessary security systems, including intruder alarm systems installed on your commercial property. By ensuring that your staff and customers are protected, you can help increase their trust and loyalty towards your business.
- Remote Monitoring – No matter where you are working from, intruder alarms can help you keep an eye on your premises from anywhere in the world. By installing intruder alarm systems with ARC, you and your nominated team can monitor your commercial building at all times.
- Lower Insurance Premiums – The more protected and well-monitored your business premises, the lesser your insurance premiums. Insurance companies recognise if a building has sufficient security in the form of different security systems and offer lower insurance premiums to well-protected properties.
Now that you know about the types of intruder alarm systems, how they work and why you should have them in your commercial building, it’s time to speak to experts about installing an intelligent intruder alarm system designed for your business premises. LNS can help design and install the best fire and security solutions for commercial property owners that provide maximum protection against fire, burglaries, and vandalism. Call us on 0116 224 3478 to book your free site survey and receive a free quote for your project.